The publications list outlines the many resources distributed by the Canadian Sugar Institute. All of these materials can be downloaded and are available free-of-charge.
Fill out our online order form, or print our Publications Order Form (PDF Format) and email, fax or mail it to us with your request.
Health Professional Resources
Carbohydrate News - Annual newsletter for health and education professionals, that provides current, practical scientific information on carbohydrate and its role in nutrition and health.
- Beyond Sweetness: The Functional Roles of Sugar in Foods and the Challenges in Replacing/Reducing It, 2016
- Sugars and Health: The Current Science, 2015
- The Not So Toxic Truth About Sugar, 2013
- Carbohydrates and the Cognitive Performance of Children, 2012
- Further analysis of Statistics Canada Health Report: Sugar consumption among Canadians of all ages, 2011
- Estimated Intakes of Added Sugars in Canada and Relationship to Trends in Body Weight, 2011
- Sucrose: From Field to Table, 2010
- Carbohydrate for Healthy Active Living, 2009
- The Glycemic Index: Clinical and Public Health Significance, 2008
- Current Issues in Child Nutrition, 2006
- Obesity, Physical Activity and the Built Environment, 2005
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Sugars, 2004
Fact Sheets for Health Professionals
- Uncover the Truth About Sugar
- Scientific Review of WHO Sugars Guideline
- Role of Carbohydrates and Sugars in Sports Nutrition
- Frequently Asked Questions About Carbohydrates and Type 2 Diabetes
- Questions About Sugar and Health?
Infographics for Health Professionals
- Sugar 101: Frequently Asked Questions
- Sugar: From Field to Table
- Sugar: Beyond Sweetness
- Learning about Sugars Labelling
- Carbohydrates and Physical Activity
- Energy Balance and Body Weight
- Sugars Consumption in Canada (NEW!)
Educational Resources for Health Professionals
- The Sweet Spot Challenge: A Compilation of Daily Menus Based on the 100 gram Daily Value for Sugars (NEW!)
Videos for Health Professionals
Nature's Sweet Mystery is an exciting teaching resource for grades 4-6 across Canada. Through experiments and activities, students learn about food science, food production, the human body, nutrition and physical activity within a series of four Missions. These missions can be downloaded below.
- MISSION 1 – Exploring Food Chains
- MISSION 2 – Exploring Food from Field to Table
- MISSION 3 – Exploring the Human Body
- MISSION 4 - Exploring Energy Balance
Use this video to teach your students about how sugar is broken down and used by the body for energy!
Use this video to show how carbohydrates are broken down and the how the blood glucose response differs from normal metabolism for someone with Type 2 Diabetes.
Use this two-part video series to gain understanding and appreciation of what infographics are and how to design an effective infographic to communicate scientific and nutrition information.
Use this four-part video series to gain the knowledge and skills needed to read and critically assess a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Use this three-part video series to apply your knowledge and skills to read and critically assess a systematic review and meta-analysis, including performing GRADE assessment.
Download these supporting resources to help guide you through this hands-on exercise:
- Worksheet: Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses (SRMAs): Application of Knowledge - Critical Review of SRMAs Please download this worksheet, which will help you to critically assess your SRMA and then perform an approximate GRADE assessment at the end in order to assess the confidence you can have in the overall estimate.
- Sample SRMA: Choo et al. Food sources of fructose-containing sugars and glycaemic control: systematic review and meta-analysis of controlled intervention studies. BMJ 2018;363:k4644.
- Supplementary Materials for Sample SRMA: Choo et al. Food sources of fructose-containing sugars and glycaemic control: systematic review and meta-analysis of controlled intervention studies. BMJ 2018;363:k4644.
Clips on Sugars - Fact sheets offering practical information about sugar.
- Facts on Sugars
- Breakfast Brain Booster
- Calories and Body Weight
- Healthy Teeth for a Healthy You!
- Sugars and Health
- Balancing Food and Activity for Healthy Weights
- Understanding the Glycemic Index
- Fuel for Your Activity
- Different Sugars for Different Tastes
- Sugar: From Plant to Food
The CSI Recipe Collection - Recipes with some sugar and health information.
- A Taste of Sugar • Appetizers
- A Taste of Sugar • Breakfast
- A Taste of Sugar • Quickbreads
- A Taste of Sugar • Salads
- A Taste of Sugar • Soups
- A Taste of Sugar • Baking
- A Taste of Sugar • Desserts
- A Taste of Sugar • Entrees
- A Taste of Sugar • Marinades
- A Taste of Sugar • Vegetables
Videos - Beyond Sweetness: Functional Roles of Sugar in Foods with Chef Claire Tansey
- "Sugar Beyond Sweetness" - Presentation on the Science of Sugar
- "Sugar Beyond Sweetness" - Functions of Sugar in Quick-Picked Carrots
- "Sugar Beyond Sweetness" - Functions of Sugar in Caramel Salmon with Puy Lentils
- "Sugar Beyond Sweetness" - Functions of Sugar in Genoise Cake and Buttercream Icing
- "Sugar Beyond Sweetness" - Event Closing and Sugar 101 Video
- Key Learnings from Canadian Sugar Institute "Sugar Beyond Sweetness" Event
Test your Sugar IQ
The Canadian Sugar Institute invites you to test your knowledge of sugars and carbohydrates by answering 10 skill testing questions.